Man who allegedly raped woman with Down syndrome maintains sexual contact was consensual
Published 26/11/2015 | 17:51
An man who allegedly raped a woman with Down syndrome told gardaí when arrested that he wanted “this woman to stand in front of me”.
The woman, who is in her twenties, became separated from her mother while they were out walking. The accused man found her and took her back to his home where the alleged rape took place.
The accused admits there was some sexual contact with the woman but maintains that it was consensual and that he didn't know she was mentally impaired.
He has pleaded not guilty at the Central Criminal Court to rape, sexual assault and having sex with a mentally impaired person at his Dublin home on June 12, 2013.
Garda Alan Hughes told Caroline Biggs SC, prosecuting, that he went to the accused's house the week after the incident and arrested him. When the garda put the allegations of rape and false imprisonment to the man, he replied “you have proof” .
The accused, who is a foreign national, was handcuffed and brought to the garda station. As he was being processed he told officers “I want this woman to stand in front of me”.
The trial also heard from several gardaí who walked the woman around the area where she met the man. On two separate occasions the woman walked gardaí to the accused's street and pointed out his house as the place she had been taken to.
The trial continues before Mr Justice Tony Hunt and a jury of six men and six women.