Man to go on trial charged with attacking garda at Swedish House Mafia
A 22-YEAR-OLD man has been sent forward for trial accused of attacking an off-duty garda at a concert in the Phoenix Park.
Sean Hulgrain, with an address at Thornfield Square Clondalkin, Dublin had been charged in October with assault causing harm to Wayne Keown, at the Swedish House Mafia gig on July 7 last which was attended by about 45,000 people.
Mr Hulgrain, who is on a disability benefit, made his fifth appearance at Dublin District Court today where he was served with a book of evidence.
The DPP has decided that Mr Hulgrain, who is on bail, must face trial on indictment meaning his case will be heard in Circuit Court, which, on conviction, has wider sentencing powers.
After the book of evidence was served Judge Bryan Smyth said Mr Hulgrain, who has not yet indicated how he will plead, was being returned for trial.
The 22-year-old will face his next hearing on April 12th at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.
Several bail conditions were set earlier; Mr Hulgrain was told that he must continue to reside at his current address and notify gardai of any change, sign on regularly at Clondalkin Garda station, and not to have any contact “directly or indirectly” with the complainant or two named witnesses in the case.
The controversial event in the park also featured Tinie Tempah and Calvin Harris on its line-up. More than 30 arrests were made on the night of the concert which was marred by a litany of incidents including public order offences and assaults.
On August 2, a Garda report into the events at the concert found that the Phoenix Park is not a suitable venue for “outdoor electric music concerts”. The report also found that gardaí warned the music promoters MCD before the event that they had concerns about alcohol sales, gate opening times and stewarding.
Afterwards MCD criticised how An Garda Siochana policed the event and the number of their officers they had on duty at the concert.