Man to appear in court charged over knife attack that left 25-year-old dead
Gardaí have charged a 21-year-old man in connection with the fatal stabbing of Kilkee local Karl Haugh.
Robbie Walsh, from Kilrush, was arrested along with two other male suspects on Sunday following the knife attack on the 25-year-old.
After he had been detained for more than 24 hours, gardaí revealed that the 21-year-old had been charged and is due to appear before Ennis District Court this morning.
The two other men have now been released without charge under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act, 1984, and a file will be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.
Investigating gardaí continued to make door-to-door enquires in Marion Estate yesterday in an effort to piece together exactly what happened in the early hours of Sunday morning.
The Garda Armed Support Unit was also deployed in the Kilrush and Kilkee areas, amid fears of reprisals.
"After any event such as this, it would be quite normal that additional Garda resources would be deployed," said local Supt John Galvin.
"They would help the local team with the current investigation in order to assess the situation as efficiently as possible," he said.
Funeral details for Mr Haugh were released yesterday evening. He will be buried after funeral Mass tomorrow in Kilkee.
A message online read: "The death has occurred of Karl Haugh, Marian Estate, Kilkee. Brother of the late Stacey. Sadly mourned by his mother Bridget, father Joseph, baby daughter, grandmother Delia, aunts, uncles, cousins, relatives, neighbours and many friends."
The young man survived a crash in 2003 that killed his older sister Stacey.
Mr Haugh was just 11 when the car he was travelling in with Stacey (16) and Lorna Mahoney (13) crashed at Moyarta, Carrigaholt.
The car was driven by then 15-year-old David Naughton.
The girls died at the scene while Karl subsequently underwent heart surgery in Dublin with a 20pc chance of living, but he survived.