Thursday 27 October 2016

Man threatened woman's son sleeping in next bedroom as he raped her after house party

Sonya McLean

Published 20/10/2015 | 16:28

The Courts of Criminal Justice
The Courts of Criminal Justice

A Cork man has been convicted of raping an acquaintance after waking her up by slapping her in the face, following a party at her home.

  • Go To

The now 33-year-old woman had earlier told the Central Criminal Court jury that her attacker had warned her if she wanted to see her son again she should do as he told her. He then instructed her to take off her pants, get back on her bed.

“He ordered me to do what he wanted and called me a bitch every time,” the woman said, after she outlined incidences of sex, anal sex and oral sex. She described herself as being terrified.

She said the sexual activity was repeated over again, maybe seven or eight times.

The court heard that the woman's young son was sleeping in a bedroom in the house during the incident.

The woman said she had earlier allowed the man to sleep on her couch after she and some of her friends had been drinking with him at the premises.

The jury of six men and five women took just under four hours to return unanimous guilty verdicts on one count each of rape, anal rape, oral rape, aggravated sexual assault, sex assault and assault causing harm.

The 29-year-old had been found not guilty by direction of the trial judge to a further count of aggravated sexual assault. It was day-six of the trial.

The man who cannot be identified for legal reasons, had pleaded not guilty to the charges which occurred in January 2014.

Ms Justice Isobel Kennedy thanked the jurors for their careful consideration in this case and excused them from further civic duty for ten years.

She declared the man a sex offender and remanded him in custody pending sentence next month.

A local garda outlined the Cork man's ten previous convictions to the jury.

He told Tom Creed SC, prosecuting, that the man had been imprisoned for two months in 2010 for breaching a barring order by going to the home of his ex-partner.

The garda said he was also convicted in 2010 for assaulting a woman the previous year.

He was also jailed for two months for assaulting his ex-partner, with criminal damage to her front door taken into consideration.

The garda added that the remaining convictions were road traffic offences and all were dealt with in the district court.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News