Man threatened to 'slice up' sandwich bar manager with machete
Published 25/05/2015 | 10:43
A Dublin man allegedly threatened to "slice up" a sandwich bar manager with a machete over a drug debt, a court has heard.
Andre Walsh (41) is accused of making the threat by text to recoup €2,000 he was allegedly owed by the manager for cocaine.
Mr Walsh has yet to indicate how he intends to plead and the case against him was adjourned at Dublin District Court.
The defendant, with an address at Connaught Street, Phibsboro, is charged with one count of demanding money with menace from the man at a city centre takeaway sandwich bar.
The charge, under Section 17 of the the Public Order Act, alleges that the offence happened on dates bewteen May 1, 2014 and January 9, 2015.
Judge Cormac Dunne was told the DPP is directing summary disposal of the case at District Court level.
Outlining the prosecution's case, a garda sergeant said the alleged victim went to the gardai in December last year and stated that he had a debt for cocaine.
He claimed that he owed the defendant around €2,000 and that Mr Walsh had been threatening him by text message.
Judge Dunne asked what was the nature of the alleged threat.
"He alleged he would slice him up with a machete at one point," the sergeant said.
It was alleged there had been a drugs transaction between the two men, he added.
Judge Dunne accepted jurisdiction to deal with the case.
This means it will be heard in the District Court instead of being sent for trial to Dublin Circuit Criminal Court, which has tougher potential sentencing powers on conviction.
The judge ordered disclosure of prosecution material at the request of Defence Solicitor Stephen O'Mahony. The court heard this might include CCTV.
Judge Dunne adjourned the case for the accused to decide how he intends to plead.