Thursday 27 October 2016

Man threatened to gouge out boy’s eyes

Andrew Phelan

Published 26/02/2016 | 14:02

The man was handed a two-year suspended sentence
The man was handed a two-year suspended sentence

A FATHER-of-four who told a frightened teenage boy that he would gouge his eyes out has been given a two-month suspended sentence.

  • Go To

The man (57) grabbed the boy off the street outside his home and made the threat while holding “an implement” over him, a court heard.

He had wrongly accused him of causing a nuisance outside his house. He was angry because he believed the 15-year-old had been turning on his outside water tap.

The man was found guilty of assault, a charge he denied, and the case was back before Dublin District Court for a restorative justice report.

However, defence barrister John Griffin said the man “did not wish to engage with the service”.


Judge Bryan Smyth said it was “fine” if the accused did not

accept the verdict. He suspended the sentence for two years.

Mr Griffin said the defendant would be appealing the conviction and sentence.

The householder had maintained that homes in his south Dublin estate were “under siege” from the anti-social

behaviour of youths.

He said he never touched or threatened the boy in the incident on August 14, 2014.

The victim told the court the man grabbed him by the T-shirt and dragged him into his driveway.


Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News