Man sent for trial on child abduction charges
Published 17/09/2015 | 02:30
A man has been sent forward for trial accused of kidnapping a six-year-old boy with Down Syndrome who became separated from his family in Dublin city centre.
David Ryan (27), with an address at Foxdene Avenue, Clondalkin in Dublin, but who was described as being of no fixed abode, was originally charged with false imprisonment of the boy at Liffey Street on June 11 last.
The young child, who is unable to communicate, was allegedly found when a security guard noticed him alone on a street and became concerned about him.
Mr Ryan had been refused bail at his first court appearance on June 12 last and, at that court appearance he was remanded in custody.
Last month, the false imprisonment charge against Mr Ryan was withdrawn and instead was replaced with abduction, contrary to Section 17 of the Non Fatal Offences Against the Person Act.
Yesterday the father-of-two appeared again before Cloverhill District Court in Dublin where he was served with a book of evidence.
The court heard that the Director of Public Prosecutions has consented to Mr Ryan being returned for trial on indictment.
Judge Victor Blake made an order sending the 27-year-old forward to the next term of the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court, where he will appear on November 6 next.
At his district court bail hearing in June, Garda Elaine Holmes had said it was alleged that Mr Ryan "took a child who was in a buggy, he pushed him across the road and took food from his hand and ate it".
It was alleged Mr Ryan then searched the young child's buggy and "left the child on the street".
Garda Holmes had also said the young boy requires "extensive care" adding that the child "has no speech".
She said the child "could not communicate with a security guard who took responsibility for him and became aware he was on his own".
Garda Holmes had said Mr Ryan told her he had been homeless for a lengthy period of time.
She had objected to bail, citing the seriousness of the case and Mr Ryan was remanded in custody.
Mr Ryan has been further remanded in custody pending his circuit court appearance in November.
The child-abduction charge can, on conviction, carry a maximum seven-year sentence.