Wednesday 26 April 2017

Man facing charges of raping two women is denied bail

Tom Tuite

A FOREIGN national accused of raping two women in Dublin at the weekend was remanded in custody yesterday after a court heard he posed a "high-level flight risk".

The 33-year-old man was refused bail at a hearing where the defence argued that he would not try to flee the country.

The accused, a university graduate who cannot be named for legal reasons, was brought before Dublin District Court yesterday charged with two counts of rape of the women, who are in their 20s, at his south inner-city address on Saturday morning.

Gda John Paul Holland, of Kevin Street station, told Judge Dermot Dempsey that the defendant, who has been living in Ireland for about two months, had been arrested at his address on Monday evening. He was charged and after caution replied: "I am innocent."

Gda Holland objected to bail, citing the seriousness of the charges. He also said the accused was a "high-level flight risk", had no family in Ireland and his visa would expire later this month.

Allegations

The court heard that the defendant had been made aware of the allegations on Saturday morning when the alleged victims spoke to his flatmate before they left.

Gda Holland agreed with defence solicitor Cahir O'Higgins that the defendant had gone voluntarily to the garda station on Saturday. But he disagreed that the man had ample time to flee the country after being made aware of the allegations.

Gda Holland told the court that he did not believe the accused understood the seriousness of the allegations until charges were pressed.

Dressed in a black jacket, runners and brown combat shorts, the defendant said he had no intention of leaving the country, had paid his rent in advance and that his visa could be extended.

"I had no intention to run from this," he said, "given bail or not I am going to fight this through because I am innocent."

Mr O'Higgins asked the court to note that his client had not attempted to leave the country. He argued that the case differed from that of Dominique Strauss-Kahn, who faces sexual assault charges in New York and was initially denied bail.

"In that instance he. . . went to the airport to get out of there," Mr O'Higgins said.

Judge Dempsey refused bail and remanded the accused in custody to appear at Cloverhill District Court on July 12.

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News