Man died after drink and drugs binge with uncle Paul 'Hippo' Ward
A 35-year-old man died at a Dublin hotel after consuming a cocktail of drink and drugs, an inquest heard.
Daniel Greene was found dead in his bed at the Louis Fitzgerald Hotel following a heavy drinking session with his uncle, Paul ‘Hippo’ Ward.
Giving evidence at Dublin Coroner’s Court, Ward – whose conviction for the murder of journalist Veronica Guerin in 1996 was quashed – recounted the hours leading up to his nephew’s death.
The pair had checked in to the Naas Road hotel early on the afternoon of Saturday, August 15, 2015.
Ward told coroner Dr Myra Cullinane that they drank in the hotel bar and in their room before moving on to Clondalkin.
“We were very drunk,” he said. They were refused entry to two pubs before going to the Village Inn where they stayed until closing time.
The pair returned to the hotel and retired to their room where Mr Greene, of Greenfort Park, Clondalkin, slept on the floor.
“There was no drug-taking in the room, there was no mention of drugs,” said Ward.
“I didn’t see him doing any drugs, although I know he has done cocaine in the past. I had tablets in a bag but they were fat burners for working out. We worked out together.”
An emotional Ward said he last saw his nephew alive at 4am. He woke around 7am and fixed the covers around Mr Greene. At 9am he got up and nudged him with his foot saying, “get up lazy”.
When he opened the curtains, Ward said he knew something was wrong and ran to the corridor for help.
Mr Greene was pronounced dead at the scene. A cigarette box containing diamorphine and two plastic packets of cocaine were found in the room.
A post mortem gave the cause of death as multiple drug use with evidence of diazepam, heroin, cocaine, alcohol and levamisole found in his system.
Dr Cullinane recorded a verdict of death by misadventure.