A MAN who is currently on the run has been sentenced to four years in prison for a vicious assault on his former partner.
He fled during his trial last month before a jury convicted him of assault causing harm. The jury failed to reach a verdict on another count of raping the woman with a carrot.
Two warrants have now being issued for his arrest, one for the assault conviction and one so he can face a retrial on the rape charge.
The 53-year, who cannot be named for legal reasons, left his victim with bruises covering most of her body. Her jaw was fractured in two places and she also suffered a broken nose. She spent a week in hospital receiving treatment.
The trial also heard she suffered severe injuries to her vagina which the prosecution claimed resulted from penetration with a carrot. Gardai told the trial she had blood pooling at her feet when they arrived and that fragments of carrot were found within throwing distance of the house.
As the jury failed to agree a verdict on the rape count, Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy said he did not take the vaginal injuries into account in imposing sentence.
The man pleaded not (NOT) guilty at the Central Criminal Court to assault causing harm and rape with an implement between November 17 and 18, 2011 at her Sligo home.
After over four hours deliberation the jury convicted him of the assault charge but told the judge they were deadlocked on the rape charge.
The rape charge has been adjourned until the next available date when a retrial may be ordered.