Man choked to death on steak at TGI Fridays
Published 18/12/2015 | 02:30
A man choked on a piece of steak while dining at TGI Fridays, an inquest heard.
Gerard (Shane) Cribbin (50) had recently returned to Ireland from the US and was staying with family at Summerhill in Co Meath. He went to TGI Fridays on Fleet Street, Temple Bar, about 5.30pm on March 31, 2015. He ordered a 12oz steak dinner and a non-alcoholic drink.
General manager at the restaurant Carol Brennan spoke to Mr Cribbin while he was waiting for his food because he looked preoccupied, she said.
Later, she saw Mr Cribbin waving his arm in the air.
"I asked him was he choking and he nodded yes, the steak was stuck. I slapped him on the back. He continued to make heaving sounds," she said.
"He stood up and I realised he was a large man and I wouldn't be able to secure his weight. I started to do double back slaps on him," Ms Brennan said.
At Dublin Coroner's Court, the deceased's brother Páiric Cribbin asked Ms Brennan if any staff at the restaurant were trained in first aid. She replied that she was.
Doctors removed a piece of steak, 7cm at its maximum diameter, from Mr Cribbin's throat, the court heard. He was pronounced dead early the following morning.
The cause of death was cardiac arrest due to choking. There was no alcohol present in his system. The autopsy showed moderate coronary heart disease, but Coroner Dr Brian Farrell said it was not a case of 'café coronary' where a person chokes as a result of a heart attack while dining.
The coroner returned a verdict of accidental death and extended his sympathies.