Wednesday 26 July 2017

Man charged with possession of revolver following major arms seizure

The seizure of a submachine gun last year
The seizure of a submachine gun last year

Andrew Phelan

A YOUNG man has been charged with possession of a revolver, following a major arms seizure in west Dublin.

Sean Ruth (28) appeared in Blanchardstown District Court this morning after being charged by gardai investigating the discovery of 15 firearms and some 1,300 rounds of ammunition earlier this year.

The weapons haul was made by gardai in a raid on an industrial estate premises in January.

Judge David McHugh remanded Mr Ruth in custody after no bail application was made on his behalf.

The accused, with an address at an apartment in Browning Street, Birmingham, is charged with unlawful possession of one Rossi revolver.

The offence is alleged to have happened on a date unknown at the Greenogue Industrial Estate in Rathcoole in west Dublin.

Detective Sergeant Paul Cullen of the Garda Drugs and Organised Crime Bureau told the court he arrested Mr Ruth at 5.55pm yesterday under Section 4 of the Criminal Law Act, for the purpose of charging him.

He made no reply to the caution and was charged at Clondalkin Garda Station at 7.40pm. His reply to the charge was “no comment.”

He was handed a copy of the charge sheet.

Mr Ruth was making no application for bail at this juncture, his solicitor Ciara Hallinan told Judge McHugh.

The judge said he was noting this and remanded the defendant in custody, to appear in Cloverhill District Court on May 17, for the directions of the DPP.

Ms Hallinan applied for free legal aid on the accused’s behalf, handing a statement of his financial means in to court. She said she did not believe there was any garda objection.

“I have no objection to that, Judge,” Det Sgt Curran confirmed.

Judge McHugh granted legal aid and assigned Michael Staines solicitors. The defendant, who was wearing a white hooded top and black tracksuit bottoms, sat with his arms folded as evidence of his arrest, charge and caution was given to the court.

He did not address the court during the brief hearing and has not yet indicated how he intends to plead to the charge, which is under the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act.

Three other men have been charged in connection with the same weapons seizure and their cases are before the courts.

Online Editors

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News