Man charged with murder of Natalie McGuinness (23) admitted to Central Mental Hospital
Published 05/11/2015 | 11:26
The man charged with the murder of Co Sligo woman Natalie McGuinness has been admitted to the Central Mental Hospital in Dundrum, a court heard today.
Oisin Conroy (33) from The Mews, Mail Coach Road in Sligo, was due to appear at Sligo District Court this morning.
He was charged last week with the murder of Easkey native Miss McGuinness (23) in Sligo on October 28.
When Conroy’s name was called in court, Judge Kevin Kilrane said he had been told Mr Conroy was now in the care of the Central Mental Hospital.
Defence solicitor Gerry McGovern confirmed this and told the judge he had been unable to get instructions from his client.
Inspector Ray Mulderrig applied for a remand in custody until December 4 to allow for the preparation of a book of evidence.
However Judge Kilrane said he was unable to do this as Mr Conroy was not in court.
He remanded Mr Conroy in custody ‘in abstentia’ until November 13 when the murder accused is due to appear at Harristown District Court.
Miss McGuinness died last Wednesday morning following an incident at Mr Conroy’s apartment.
Last Thursday, when Mr Conroy appeared at Sligo District Court charged with murder, his legal team had requested that he be treated at the medical facility in Dundrum.