Tuesday 26 September 2017

Man charged with murder of homeless man found in rubbish chute

Gardai at the Panda plant in Ballymount, Dublin, where the body of a man was found by staff unloading a waste truck
Gardai at the Panda plant in Ballymount, Dublin, where the body of a man was found by staff unloading a waste truck
Ralph Riegel

Ralph Riegel

A YOUNG man has been charged with the murder of a homeless man whose battered body was discovered in a rubbish disposal chute.

David O’Loughlin (27) was charged with the murder of Liam Manley (58) on May 12 last in a Cork city centre apartment complex.

O’Loughlin was previously charged with assault causing harm to Mr Manley but that charge has now been withdrawn and replaced.

Mr Manley (58) had been homeless in Cork for over 25 years and was a frequent resident of various Cork Simon shelters.

Originally from Gurranabraher, he was found dead by a maintenance worker at the City Garden-North Gate House apartment complex on Bachelor’s Quay, Cork.

The body was discovered when maintenance staff were investigating why a rubbish chute was blocked.

Judge Leo Malone was told by Det Garda Noel Maxwell that O’Loughlin (26) of Apartment 10, Garden City Apartments-North Gate House, Cork made no reply when charged after being formally cautioned.

O’Loughlin, who was wearing a track suit and sports top, did not speak during the brief Cork District Court hearing.

Because a murder charge is involved, any bail application has to be brought before the High Court.

Defence counsel, Frank Buttimer, told the court his client has been in custody since May on the assault charge which has now been withdrawn.

He said his client accepted that a new charge has now been brought.

However, he asked when Gardai will be ready to serve documentation in relation to the murder charge.

Judge Malone was told by Inspector Pat Meaney that the Director of Prosecutions (DPP) has already indicated trial by judge and jury before the Central Criminal Court.

The defendant was remanded to appear again on November 21.

Mr Buttimer said his client was consenting to appear via video link if the remand appearance was before Cork District Court.

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News