Man charged with attacking senior judge outside courts
A 23-YEAR-OLD Dublin man has been charged with attacking a senior judge and a security guard during an incident outside the Four Courts on Sunday.
Gardai from the Bridewell station were called to the court building on Sunday afternoon and arrested a young male in connection with an alleged assault on Mr Justice Anthony Barr and a security man.
Judge Barr was appointed to the High Court last June having previously worked for six years as a senior counsel at the Morris tribunal into Garda irregularities in Co. Donegal.
Today, Eoin McGinn from Liscarne Gardens, Clondalkin, appeared at Dublin District Court to face three charges in connection with the alleged incident.
He is accused of getting into the Anthony Barr's car at Inns Quay, contrary to Section 113 of the Road Traffic Act.
He is also facing connected charges for attacking the judge contrary to Section 2 of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Persons Act as well as a more serious allegation of assault causing harm to the security guard at the same location.
A garda sergeant told Judge Ann Ryan that evidence of the 23-year-old man's arrest, charge and caution was being furnished by way of a certificate which lodged in court.
Judge Ryan was told that the prosecution was seeking time to obtain directions from the DPP as they were not yet available.
Defence solicitor Michael Hanahoe consented to the adjournment and was also granted an order for copies of CCTV evidence from the location of the alleged incident to be made available to him ahead of the next hearing.
Mr McGinn, who was wearing green trousers, a blue top and blue runners, did not address the court today and there has been no indication yet as to how he intends to plead.
A statement of his means was also handed in to court and there was no objection to free legal aid being granted after the judge was told that the 23-year-old man has a job and is an apprentice.
There has been no objection to bail and the 23-year-old was remanded to appear again on a date in January.
Independent.ie Comments Facility
INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.
We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie