Man charged as part of investigation into human trafficking of Polish nationals into Ireland for 'sexual exploitation'
Published 29/10/2016 | 15:29
A man will appear before Dublin District Court this evening charged in connection with an ongoing human trafficking investigation.
In a statement gardaí said the 38-year-old male was arrested in Dublin earlier on Saturday afternoon as part of a four year investigation.
Gardaí said: "In February 2012 an investigation was commenced by members of An Garda Síochána attached to Operation Quest, Garda National Protective Services Bureau, into human trafficking of Polish nationals into the state by organised criminal groups for the purpose of sexual exploitation. "
Gardaí said that during the course of the investigation a number of female victims were identified and interviewed by officers.
Those identified are continuing to receive support from Ruhama and the HSE.
A total of five suspects were arrested and detained under Section 50 of the Criminal Justice Act, 2007. They were released without charge and a comprehensive investigation file was forwarded to the Director of Public Prosecutions.
This is the second person to face charges following a four year long investigation.
A male aged in his 30s was charged before a sitting Athlone District Court under Human Trafficking legislation on October 26.
The investigation was led by Gardaí attached to Operation Quest, Garda National Protective Service Bureau and supported by the Human Trafficking Investigation and Co-ordination Unit, Drugs & Organised Crime Bureau, National Bureau of Criminal Investigation, District Detective Units based at Store Street and Athlone Garda Stations.
Gardaí say that valuable assistance was also provided by the Polish National Trafficking Unit, the Police Service of Northern Ireland, Europol and Interpol.