Courts

Tuesday 22 July 2014

Man charged after Luke Wilson (18) shot and lost eye

Tom Tuite

Published 12/02/2013|18:09

  • Share
Luke Wilson
Luke Wilson

A 20-YEAR-OLD man had nothing to say after he was charged this evening in connection with a gun attack on a youth who was left partially blinded following a shooting in Dublin last month.

  • Share
  • Go To

Luke Wilson (18) lost an eye after he was shot three times, on January 13 last around 3pm.

 

The attack took place as the teenager walked through the War Memorial Park in Inchicore. The youth, who lives at Cremona Road in Ballyfermot, Dublin was rushed to St James's Hospital in a critical condition and underwent surgery.

 

Jobless Patrick McCann of Decies Road, Ballyfermot Dublin was charged this evening with causing serious harm to Luke Wilson, and possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life, at Memorial Park, on January 13. Despite garda concerns he would interfere with witnesses, he was granted bail but must obey several conditions.

 

Detective Sergeant Michael O'Brien, of Kilmainham station, told Judge Victor Blake at Dublin District Court that the 20-year-old was arrested today at 3.25pm for the purpose of being charged.

 

“In reply, in relation to both charges he had nothing to say,” Det-Sgt O'Brien said.

 

Wearing white runners, navy tracksuit bottoms and a T-Shirt with a logo saying “Just Do It”, he remained silent as the garda told the court that there was an objection to bail.

 

Det-Sgt O'Brien cited the seriousness of the charges which he said carried a possible life sentence. There was a fear of witness intimidation and more serious charges could be brought against Mr McCann.

 

He said that Luke Wilson sustained “three gunshot wounds to his head, neck and arms and lost sight in one eye”. The detective also said that Luke Wilson named Patrick McCann as the person who shot him when he made a 999 call, then at the A&E department at St James's Hospital and also in written statements he gave to gardaí

 

The officer also said that that the accused, Mr McCann, lives “a minute's walk" from Luke Wilson.

 

Defence solicitor Lorraine Stephens argued that the court had heard allegations only and there was no grounds to refuse bail.

 

Judge Blake remanded Mr McCann in custody with consent to bail in his own bond of €400. He ruled that an independent surety - in the sum of €5,000, half of which must be lodged in cash - must also be approved.

 

The judge also stipulated that Mr McCann must reside at an address agreed by gardaí, stay away from Luke Wilson and his family, not apply for a passport or other travel documents, obey a curfew from 10pm to 8am and sign on daily at a garda station, when he takes up bail.

 

Legal aid was granted after the court heard he had no income and was of “limited means”. He did not address the court during the brief hearing this evening and has not yet indicated how he will plead.

Read More

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News