Wednesday 22 February 2017

Man accused of stabbing Italian tourist is refused bail

Nicola Donnelly

Published 20/08/2015 | 15:42

Judge's gavel
Judge's gavel

A YOUNG man accused of stabbing an Italian tourist in Dublin last year has been remanded in custody pending his trial.

  • Go To

Gary Dreaper (20) was charged this morning at Bridewell Garda Station with assault causing harm to Moreno Franchetta, contrary to Section 3 of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act.

It is alleged Mr Franchetta (41) was stabbed on May 14, 2014 on the O’Donovan Rossa Bridge in Dublin, close to the Four Courts in what is allegedly an unprovoked assault.

Dreaper, of No Fixed Abode, was brought before Judge Michael Walsh at Dublin District Court today where Detective Garda Stephen Tierney gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution.

The defendant has not yet indicated how he will plead.

He told Judge Walsh that the accused made no reply when the charge was put to him.

Gda King told the court the Director of Public Prosecutions has directed trial on indictment, meaning the case will go forward for trial to Dublin Circuit Criminal Court where the maximum penalty on conviction for the alleged offence is five years.

Gda King said due to the seriousness of the alleged offence he was objecting to Dreaper being granted bail.

Dreaper was granted legal aid following an application made by defence solicitor Tony Collier.

Judge Walsh refused to grant Dreaper bail and remanded him in custody to appear before Cloverhill District Court next Thursday, August 27.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News