Man accused of raping woman told he can't go to brother's wedding
Published 11/08/2016 | 23:40
A man accused of raping a woman two years ago has been refused permission by a judge to fly to the United States to be best man at his brother's wedding.
The 33-year-old was served with a book of evidence when he appeared at Dublin District Court.
He is accused of raping a woman in Killester in Dublin on January 26, 2014.
A State solicitor said the book of evidence had been served on the accused.
Judge Grainne O'Neill sent the man forward for trial to the next sittings of the Central Criminal Court, on the same bail.
His lawyers brought an application before Judge O'Neill to vary the man's bail conditions, as his brother is getting married in the US next month.
They were seeking the return of his passport and relaxation of a sign-on condition for a 10-day period.
Gardai objected to varying the bail, saying they believed he was a flight risk as he had no family in Ireland.
In evidence, the man said his parents and girlfriend live in Ireland. He also has a full-time job.
Judge O'Neill refused to vary the bail terms, and said the man was facing a serious charge.