Thursday 21 September 2017

Man accused of killing taxi-driver remanded

Tom Tuite

A 25-YEAR-OLD man charged with the manslaughter of a Nigerian taxi-driver in Dublin last year was remanded on continuing bail today.

Moses Ayanwole (41), who had been living in Ireland for 15 years, had been working in the city-centre when he sustained head injuries during a row at Pearse Street, on November 21 last year.



Mr Ayanwole, who had lived with his wife Olusola at Rusheeny Grove, Hartstown, west Dublin, was the father of a 12-year-old boy.



He went into a coma and after being taken to St James’s Hospital, it was decided not to transfer him to the specialist unit at Beaumont Hospital due to the seriousness of his injuries. He died two days later.



Last week unemployed William Keegan, of Pearse House, in Dublin 2, was charged with unlawfully killing Mr Ayanwole. “He made no reply to the charge after caution,” Det-Sergeant John Doyle had told Dublin District Court.



Mr Keegan, who has surrendered his passport, had been granted bail and appeared at Cloverhill District Court today.



He was further remanded on bail and ordered to appear again at Dublin District Court on September 18 next.



As part of the conditions of bail, Mr Keegan had been told earlier that he could not apply for a new passport and he has to sign on twice a week at Pearse Street garda station.



Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News