A DUBLIN man is to stand trial accused of careless driving causing the death of a 14-year-old boy during a suspected hit-and-run incident almost two years ago.
Conor Hickey, from St Attracta Road in Cabra, was hit by a vehicle at the junction of St. Eithne Road and Fassaugh Road on the evening of December 2, 2011.
The Cabra Gaelscoil Colaiste Mhuire second year pupil had been on his way to meet a friend when he was struck and died in hospital the following day.
The accused, Ruadhan Tracey, had to be restrained by prison officers and was forcibly removed from a courtroom after he was served with a book of evidence today.
Mr Tracey, aged 31, who is currently of no fixed abode, had replied “not guilty” when he was charged earlier with careless driving causing the schoolboy's death.
He also faces a connected set of charges which include allegations that on December 2, 2011, at Fassaugh Road, he was the driver of a '02-registered car which was involved in causing injuries to Conor Hickey and he failed to remain at the scene.
Mr Tracey, who is originally from Drumcondra in Dublin, also has a related charge for driving while not holding a licence and it is alleged he was not insured at the time.
The DPP has directed trial on indictment and today Mr Tracey appeared again at Dublin District Court where he was served with a book of evidence by Detective Garda Jonathan Brady.
Conor Hickey's parents, Margaret and John, were sitting in the public gallery while Judge Ann Ryan told Mr Tracey that if he intended to use an alibi in his defence he must notify the prosecution within 14 days. The 31-year-old replied “that won' be needed” when he was given the caution.
The judge then returned Mr Tracey, who has not yet entered a plea, for trial to the Dublin Circuit Criminal on the charge for careless driving causing death. The remaining counts are to be added to the indictment at a later stage and he is to face his next hearing at the Circuit Court on November 22 next.
Judge Ryan also agreed to a request from the man's solicitor to grant legal aid to include senior as well as junior counsel representation due to the seriousness of the case.
An application to change his address on his charges to read no fixed abode was also successful. He explained in court that he no longer used the older address, which is the home of his mother, and he added that she has been receiving threats. He said he feared for the safety of members of his family at which Judge Ryan said should it be brought to the attention of gardai.
He also described the incident as an accident and as the hearing concluded he had to be restrained by prison officers when he insisted that he wanted to get a piece of paper with the date of his next hearing from his solicitor.