Man (39) appears in court in Mayo charged with manslaughter of his infant son
A MAN has appeared in court charged in connection to the death of his baby son.
John Tighe (39), of Lavallyroe, Ballyhaunis in Co Mayo is charged with the unlawful killing of the child. He is facing a second charge of wilful neglect.
The charges related to an alleged offence on June 1, 2013.
Mr Tighe, who has since had a second child with his partner, was arrested and charged yesterday.
The court heard Mr Tighe’s partner was standing by him following the death of their first child and the two remained a couple.
Defence solicitor Alan Gannon described the case as “tremendously sad”.
He said the accused had been left distraught by the death of his infant son.
He told the court Mr Tighe denies the charges and was anxious for the trial to proceed.
He said Mr Tighe had co-operated fully with Gardai at all stages of the investigation. He added that the accused had received great community support from neighbours.
Mr Tighe was first formally interviewed by Gardai back in July 2015 and has presented voluntarily for two other interviews.
The court heard that several medical reports had been carried out along with a lengthy garda investigation over the past three years.
Mr Tighe appeared before Castlebar District Court today where Judge Mary Devins heard that the Director of Public Prosecutions had instructed the accused to stand trial at the Central Criminal Court on the manslaughter charge.
Mr Gannon applied for bail for the accused, telling the court his client was not a flight risk and would abide by any bail conditions.
Inspector Tom Calvey said the State opposed bail given the seriousness of the charge. He also cited the nature of the evidence to be presented and the likely sentence in the event of conviction.
However, he said he could not disagree with any of the defence submissions.
Mr Tighe was granted bail on his own bond of €300 and an independent surety of €2,000.
Mr Tighe must give an undertaking not to apply for any travel documents, furnish a mobile telephone number to Gardai and sign on at Claremorris Garda Station twice a week.
He was remanded in custody to Castlebar Garda Station overnight, pending payment of the surety tomorrow. He will then be remanded on bail pending preparation of the Book of Evidence.