Sunday 28 December 2014

Man (30) charged in gun siege case

Greg Harkin

Published 30/12/2013 | 10:56

Michael O'Connor arriving at a special sitting of Sligo District Court, where he was charged with possession of a shotgun with intent to endanger life.
Photo: James Connolly / PicSell8
30DEC13
Michael O'Connor arriving at a special sitting of Sligo District Court
Gardai at house where an incident with a firearm took place on the Sligo to Strandhill road in Sligo

A 30-year-old man has appeared in court charged in connection with a gun incident during a stand-off with gardai.

Michael O’Connor, from Nolmar, Scardenmore, Strandhill Road, Sligo appeared at a special sitting of the town’s District Court today to face one charge of possession of a single barreled shotgun with intent to endanger life.

Dressed in a grey jumper and grey tracksuit bottoms, Mr O’Connor sat just feet away from relatives who wept at the back of the court.

Det Sgt Connell Lee told Judge Kevin Kilrane that when he arrested and charged the suspect at Sligo Garda Station last night, the accused man made no reply.

The court appearance followed a barricaded incident at Scardenmore at the weekend which ended after a 13-hour stand-off with Gardai. A number of shots were fired during the incident.

Supt Mary Murray told the court that Gardai were objecting to bail as they believed Mr O’Connor was a flight risk.

Defence solicitor Mark Mullaney said his client was not making a bail application and asked that Mr O’Connor be given a psychiatric medical assessment at Castlerea Prison.

Supt Murray said Gardai were aware that Mr O’Connor had been in contact with the mental health services in the past, but added: “We are not aware of any significant mental health issues.”

Judge Kilrane remanded Mr O’Connor in custody to appear again at Harristown District Court on Friday next, January 3.

He ordered that Mr O’Connor be medically assessed whilst in custody.

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News