Sunday 22 October 2017

Jury sent home for the night in Thomas Byrne trial

Thomas Byrne outside court this week
Thomas Byrne outside court this week

Conor Gallagher

The jury in the €52 million theft and fraud trial of former solicitor Thomas Byrne has been sent home for a third night having deliberated for over eleven hours so far.

Mr Byrne (47) of Mountjoy Square, Dublin is accused of theft and fraud offences totalling €51.8 million.

He had pleaded not guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to 50 counts of theft, forgery, using forged documents and deception between 2004 and 2007. The jury were previously ordered to acquit him of another count due to lack of evidence.

The charges allege Mr Byrne transferred clients’ homes into his name and then used them as collateral for property loans. He is also accused of using invalid collateral to fraudulently borrow millions from six financial institutions.

The jurors have deliberated for eleven and a half over the course of three days. They have reached verdicts on some of the counts but Judge Patrick McCartan told them to return all the verdicts at once.

This morning on day 25 of the trial Judge McCartan told the jury that he no longer requires a unanimous decision and will now accept a verdict from a majority of ten of the jurors.

They are to resume deliberations at 10.30am tomorrow.

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News