News Courts

Monday 22 September 2014

Jury in Marioara Rostas won't return until Tuesday

All sides deal with a legal issue in the jury's absence

Published 03/07/2014 | 17:06

  • Share
Marioara Rostas
The father of Marioara Rostas (inset) arriving at court
The father of Marioara Rostas (inset) arriving at court

The jury in the trial of the man charged with murdering teenager Marioara Rostas is not expected to return to court until Tuesday, while all sides deal with a legal issue in its absence.

  • Share
  • Go To

The Central Criminal Court trial went into legal argument on Monday and the jury had been expected to return today.

Alan Wilson (35) of New Street Gardens in Dublin has pleaded not guilty to the 18-year-old’s murder at a house on Brabazon Street, The Coombe in the city between January 7 and January 8, 2008.

The trial has heard that the Romanian teenager disappeared from Dublin city centre on the afternoon of January 6th and that her body was found in a shallow grave on the Wicklow border four years later. She had died of four bullet wounds to her head.

The jury heard on Monday that she phoned her brother in Romania the day after she went missing, asking for her ‘Daddy to come get her’.

Alexandru Rostas testified that his younger sister was crying and seemed frightened during their short conversation. She told him that she was out of town and to ‘tell Dad to go after her’.

She said that she had 50 cent to talk on the phone and that a boy had dropped her off 200 km from Dublin.

She said she could see a little sign and started to tell him about some of the letters on it, but the phone cut off before any more details were given.

Before the phone died, she repeated to him to ‘ask for her Daddy to come get her’.

The prosecution has already told the jury that it will hear from Fergus O’Hanlon.

He told gardai that Mr Wilson called him to the house on Brabazon Street in January 2008 and showed him a corpse, saying: ‘She was a witness’.

He told detectives that he then assisted the accused in burying her body.

The trial continues before Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy and will resume next week before the jury of 10 men and two women.

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News