Tuesday 17 January 2017

Judge to rule on FitzPatrick hearing

Aodhan O Faolain

Published 29/08/2015 | 02:30

Sean Fitzpatrick
Sean Fitzpatrick

The High Court will rule today on former Anglo Irish Bank chairman Seán FitzPatrick's application to permanently prevent his trial before Dublin Circuit Criminal Court from proceeding.

  • Go To

Mr FitzPatrick (66), from Greystones, Co Wicklow, has pleaded not guilty to 27 charges under the 1990 Companies Act, including making a misleading, false or deceptive statement to auditors and of furnishing false information from 2002 to 2007.

He brought his application over what he claims is the large volume of adverse media publicity he received following a recent, separate conviction of three Anglo officials.

Barrister Bernard Condon SC, for Mr FitzPatrick, said his client had been subjected to a level of odium and ridicule in the media to the extent he cannot now get a fair trial, scheduled for October 5.

He claimed there had been a "cascade of negativity" in the media concerning Mr FitzPatrick, particularly following the trial, adding that he had been called "every name under the sun", he alleged.

Paul O'Higgins SC, for the DPP, rejected claims that Mr FitzPatrick could not get a fair trial. It was the DPP's view with appropriate directions from the trial judge and a careful selection process of potential members of the jury that there would be no reason he would not get a fair trial, he said.

Mr Justice Michael Moriarty, who yesterday reserved his decision, also imposed reporting restrictions on some matters and details raised in the hearing.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News