Wednesday 7 December 2016

Judge refuses delay in Ducie club assault case

Published 14/01/2010 | 05:00

AT LEAST six civilian and six garda witnesses are set to give evidence when a friend of the late model Katy French appears in court on charges connected with an alleged row outside a nightclub.

  • Go To

Kieron Ducie did not enter a plea on the charges at Swords District Court yesterday.

Instead, lawyers representing the businessman sought to have the case adjourned for a further four weeks as they had only this week gained access to CCTV footage of the incident outside the Wright Venue in Swords, Co Dublin.

But Judge Patrick Brady told the court that the case would be heard on March 22. "If (Mr Ducie) decides to plea, you have the liberty to be brought back before the courts before then," he said.

Mr Ducie, of Lambertstown Manor, Kilmessan, Co Meath, is facing two charges of assaulting gardai Anthony Cagney and Karl McNamara in the early hours of November 28.

Charges

He is facing three further charges of being intoxicated in public, using threatening and abusive language, and violent behaviour in a garda station.

The 40-year-old, who is well- known on Dublin's nightclub circuit, did not speak during the brief hearing yesterday

He sat alone at the back of the court until his case was called.

His solicitor Fiona D'Arcy told the court that CCTV footage and several witness statements had been made available to the defence "yesterday evening". and sought the adjournment to study them.

Sgt Paul Madden confirmed there were at least six civilian and six garda witnesses.

Mr Ducie, a father of one, came to national attention following Ms French's death in December 2007. He had taken the model to Our Lady's Hospital in Navan, Co Meath, after she collapsed at his home. Ms French died five days later.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News