Judge in Marioara Rostas trial apologises to jury for case delays
The judge in the Alan Wilson murder trial has apologised to the jury for delays in the case.
Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy said evidence was not able to resume today because of legal issues of “some complexity” which had still not been completed.
He told the jury of 10 men and two women the trial would not now finish in the expected four weeks and asked them to return tomorrow.
Mr Wilson (35), of New Street Gardens, Dublin 8, has pleaded not guilty to murdering Marioara Rostas (18) at a house at Brabazon Street, The Coombe, between January 7 and 8, 2008.
She went missing while begging in traffic in Dublin city centre on January 6 that year and her body was found in a shallow grave in woods in the Kippure-Sally Gap area on the Dublin/Wicklow border four years later, on January 23, 2012.
Mr Justice McCarthy apologised to the jury today that the trial had been postponed, and that it was now in its fourth week “when we had hoped it would not have gone beyond its fourth week.”
“There were legal matters to be determined, these were matters of some complexity and length,” he said. “Matters took much longer than we had hoped because of administrative difficulties. We did the very best we could to ensure you weren’t delayed.”
He thanked the jury for their patience and added: “I think we are on the home stretch.”