Judge gives extra time to complete evidence in Anglo bank fraud case
Published 12/03/2014 | 14:53
A JUDGE has allowed the State extra time to prepare books of evidence in a case against three ex-bankers accused of transferring €7.2 billion to Anglo to give investors the impression it had larger deposits.
The three defendants are: John Bowe, who had been head of capital markets at Anglo Irish Bank; Denis Casey, 54, from Raheny, Dublin, chief executive Irish of Life and Permanent (IL&P) until 2009; the third defendant is 61-year-old Peter Fitzpatrick, from Malahide, Dublin, who had been IL&P's former director of finance.
They are accused of conspiring to mislead Anglo Irish Bank investors in relation to €7.2 billion transactions, between March 1, 2008 and September that year. Mr Bowe, aged 50, from Glasnevin, in Dublin, also faces an additional charge that on December 3, 2008 he falsified accounts contrary to Section 10 of the Theft and Fraud Act.
They had been charged on December 18 following their arrest by detectives from the Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigation and on the same day they had been granted bail by Dublin District Court pending the preparation of books of evidence.
The DPP has already directed that they are to face trial on indictment, meaning their case will go before a judge and jury at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.
Today, State solicitor Padraig Mawe told Judge Michael Walsh that the books of evidence were not ready and he asked for the case to be adjourned until May 1 next.
However, defence solicitors Michael Hanahoe, Dara Robinson and Michael Hennessy said there was consent to the case being put back for a longer period to ensure the prosecution's books of evidence will have been completed and will be ready to be served at their clients' next hearing.
Judge Walsh agreed and remanded the three men on continuing bail to appear again in mid-June when it is expected the evidence will be handed over to them and they will be returned for trial.
At their first hearing in December, the district court had heard that the three men replied “No” when they were charged with the offences.
Mr Mawe, for the State, also reminded the court yesterday (WED) that this case has no factual connection with the on-going trial of former Anglo executives.
As a condition of bail they must sign on regularly at their local garda stations and they have to give the the fraud bureau detectives at least 48 hours' advance notice if they intend to leave the country and they must provide details of their travel destinations and return dates.