Friday 22 September 2017

Judge drops case against tragic Daniel for TV theft

Tom Tuite

MURDERED teenager Daniel McAnaspie died in "the most horrific circumstances," his solicitor told a court yesterday.

McAnaspie went missing on February 25 and had been last seen in Blanchardstown, Dublin.

His body was found in a drain at Rathfeigh, Co Meath, last month with stab wounds.

The youth, who was in care, had made appearances at the Children's Court in Dublin.

However, he was not a repeat offender and faced just one charge for stealing a television set, which he admitted, from a north Dublin care home in which he had been residing, on December 4 last year.

With no prior criminal convictions, he had been on bail pending sentence when he went missing and his Children's Court case had been adjourned continually in his absence. Yesterday Garda Sergeant Seamus Treacy successfully applied to Judge Catherine Staines for that case to be withdrawn.

Defence solicitor Gareth Noble explained that the teenager, who was buried last week, "had died in the most horrific circumstances".

In April, Mr Noble had told the court that the teenager's parents were dead and he had been the subject of a "full care order".

However, a number of the Health Service Executive care placements he had been given "broke down".

Mr Noble had said that after these proceedings had begun, the teenager had been moved into another care home in north Dublin.

He had told the proceedings that a guardian ad litem had been appointed to the boy during separate childcare proceedings in another court.

"The guardian hoped that court would make an order for a placement in Sweden, which the guardian identified as appropriate," Mr Noble said.

This referred to Hassela Gotland, a special care unit providing therapy and help for extremely troubled teens. Mr Noble had also told the court that an application for "secure care" for the boy was dismissed in May last year.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News