A BRIDGE where a young man died following a New Year's Eve attack should be immediately closed and demolished because it presents a danger to the community, a judge has said.
Judge Anthony Halpin was speaking as two men appeared in Tallaght District Court charged in connection with a New Year's attack on a young man.
Jason Beresford (20) and Gerard Stephens (24) were allegedly caught "red-handed" on CCTV footage at St Dominic's Road around 4am on New Year's morning when Dale Creighton (20) was badly assaulted.
Mr Creighton was on life support and died in Beaumont Hospital on Thursday as a result of head injuries.
Judge Halpin remanded the men on bail with strict conditions.
The judge also said the bridge should be closed immediately, asking the Garda Commissioner to write to South Dublin County Council to ask for it to be demolished.
"A young man's life has been wastefully lost in tragic circumstances", said Judge Halpin. "It presents a danger to the community because any person who finds himself on this bridge is caged in without any prospect of escape and it should be closed immediately."
Eight individuals, seven men and one woman, have now been charged following an investigation into an attack on Mr Creighton.
They have been ordered not to associate with each other for the duration of the case.
Beresford and Stephens, whose addresses were not disclosed due to concerns about their safety, appeared before Tallaght District Court charged with violent disorder.
Gardai objected to bail, citing the seriousness of the charge and the strength of the evidence.
Officers also expressed concern the accused might interfere with witnesses.
Objecting to bail, gardai said it will be alleged that Stephens and Beresford were present at the footbridge at St Dominic's Road when a male was badly assaulted.
Garda Kieran Kilcoyne said it will be alleged the men were caught "red-handed" on CCTV cameras.
Defence solicitors Padraic O'Donovan and John O'Leary said their clients were willing to abide by any bail conditions.
Judge Halpin remanded the accused on bail in their own bonds of €1,000 with an independent surety of €2,000, with €1,000 cash.
As part of their bail conditions, the men must stay out of Tallaght and not associate with each other or the six other co-accused. They must also sign on daily at their local garda station and obey a curfew.
Eight people have now been charged in connection with an investigation into an attack on Mr Creighton.
Graham Palmer (24), of Homelawn Road, Aisling Burke (20), of Bolbrook Grove, and Ross Callery (20), all in Tallaght, appeared in court last week charged with violent disorder.
On Friday, college student James Reid (23), of Homelawn Avenue in Tallaght, was charged with producing a knife during the course of a dispute.
And on Saturday, David Burke (25), of Village Square, and James O'Brien (21), of Avonbeg Drive, both in Tallaght, were also charged with violent disorder.
The accused were all granted bail with strict conditions and will appear before Dublin District Court again on January 16.