Joyriding case against man killed in Halloween bonfire stabbing struck out
A young man killed in an attack near a bonfire at Halloween has had a joyriding case against him struck out in court following his death.
Robert Ellis (25) had been accused of driving a stolen car in west Dublin in an incident three weeks before he was killed.
He had been out on bail at the time of his death.
When his case came back before Blanchardstown District Court, Judge David McHugh was told Mr Ellis was deceased.
Mr Ellis, of Neilstown Drive, Clondalkin, had been charged with unauthorised use of a woman's car at Greenfort Avenue, Clondalkin.
He was also charged with driving without insurance in the same incident, on October 9 last.
His case had been before the court on October 27 and came back before Judge McHugh on Thursday.
"Those matters can be struck out," Garda Sergeant Maria Callaghan told the judge. "The defendant is deceased."
The judge struck out both charges.
Mr Ellis died in the early hours of November 1 in Liscarne Gardens, Ronanstown after being attacked during Halloween night celebrations in the area.
It is believed that Mr Ellis was in the area of a bonfire at St Marks, a housing estate close by Liscarne Gardens.
He was chased by a number of people across the Neilstown Road, into Liscarne Gardens where he was then fatally injured.
He reportedly banged furiously on the door of a house while losing blood from an apparent stabbing.
It was also reported Mr Ellis ran through the house while being pursued and died in the back garden of the property.
In March 2015 Eliis had a narrow escape when he, and his pregnant girlfriend, were shot at as they got out of a car in the Grange Vie estate in Clondalkin.
It is understood that Ellis was previously a witness to a murder that happened in Ballyfermot in 2011.
Ellis had almost 40 prior convictions to his name including a seven-year sentence in 2009 for drug offences, the final four of which were suspended.
Independent.ie Comments Facility
INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.
We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie