Thursday 19 October 2017

Jail for man who lost two fingers in bomb attack

A MAN who lost two fingers when a pipe bomb exploded in his hand told gardai he had been "messing around with fireworks", a court has heard.

Patrick Lynch (38) – who has 110 previous convictions – admitted trying to scare a man as part of a long-running feud by throwing the explosive into the garden of the family home.

Lynch, of Nutgrove Crescent, Rathfarnham, Dublin, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to possession of the pipe bomb at St Louise's Park, Blackrock on January 20, 2013.

Det Sgt Peter Woods told the court he arrested the injured Lynch at Beaumont Hospital.

Judge Mary Ellen Ring imposed a five-year sentence, suspending the final two-and-a-half on condition he keeps the peace for that period.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News