'ISIL recruiter' became emotional when asked to give evidence about torture he received - High Court
A MAN allegedly involved with Islamic terrorists became emotional when asked to give details about torture he claims he received at the hands of the Jordanian authorities, his lawyer told the High Court.
The man, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, is opposing an attempt to deport him and denies the State's claims he has consulted with senior violent extremist leaders outside Ireland.
He also denies he made travel arrangements for and is involved in recruiting members for Islamic extremist group Isil or that he represents a threat to national security.
He claims he was tortured in Jordan due to his political activities, and faces being tortured if he is sent back.
On the third day of the case, his counsel Daniel Friedman QC argued the Minister for Justice has failed to properly take into account the risk of his client, who had voiced his opposition to the Jordanian regime, of being tortured if deported to Jordan.
"A complex multiplicity of corroborated medical findings" contained in a report complied on the man make it highly probable he was tortured in the custody of the Jordanian authorities during the 1990s, counsel said.
He was subject to different forms of torture when he was held by the Jordanian authorities, including a technique known as "Falanga" which involved the repeated beating of the soles of the feet by a blunt instrument.
He was also subject to electric shocks as well as other forms of sustained physical abuse, counsel said.
He has a number of scars on his body and has difficulty walking.
When asked to give details to a medical expert about what had happened to him the man became defensive and emotional which are signs he is a victim of abuse, counsel said.
Despite his client's denials of being linked to ISIL he will be perceived as being involved and will face torture or ill treatment in Jordan, counsel said.
Counsel said the reports state torture and ill treatment in detention centres is widespread and systemic. Those engaged in this behaviour do so with "impunity", counsel added.
Submissions on behalf of the man have concluded.
Lawyers for the Minister will outline her opposition to the man's action and will argue why the deportation order is valid on Friday (Mar 4).
The man has resided in Ireland since 2000, on the basis he has an Irish citizen child.
Last year the authorities decided not to renew his residency permit because child had not been residing in the State.
Independent.ie Comments Facility
INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.
We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie