Monday 24 October 2016

Irish socialite admits sex assault on man

Published 29/09/2016 | 07:33

Peter Gilroy
Peter Gilroy

An Irish socialite has appeared in court where he admitted carrying out a sexual assault on man.

  • Go To

Peter Gilroy was due to stand trial on Wednesday, September 28, on a single charge of sexually assaulting another man last October.

However, defence barrister Mark Farrell asked that his client be re-arraigned, and when the charge was put to the 47-year old at Belfast Crown Court, he replied 'guilty.'

Although no details of the offence emerged during today's brief hearing, Gilroy admitted that he committed the offence on October 21 last year.

From Cherryville Street in Belfast, Gilroy admitted 'intentionally touching' the complainant, that the touching was sexual and that the complainant did not consent to the touching.

Mr Farrell confirmed to Judge Geoffrey Miller QC that the male complainant is over 18, and also revealed that Gilroy came before the court with no criminal record.

Judge Miller ordered that pre-sentence reports be compiled ahead of sentencing, which is due to take place in November.

The Judge told Gilroy: "It is in your interests to co-operate fully with the Probation Service and any other agencies that your solicitor deems necessary."

Before releasing the defendant on continuing bail, he was also told by Judge Miller: "The question of what sentence will ultimately be passed will be determined once I have the full facts."

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News