Irish doctor at the centre of sports doping scandal denies any wrongdoing after 'exposé'
Published 04/04/2016 | 02:30
The Dublin doctor at the centre of the latest doping scandal has denied prescribing banned treatment to sports stars.
Dr Mark Bonar is also facing proceedings over alleged misconduct during his treatment of a cancer patient and does not have a licence to practise in the UK.
The UCD graduate and self-professed "celebrity doctor to the stars" was caught on film by undercover reporters, bragging that he had prescribed performance-enhancing drugs to 150 professional athletes.
However, he took to Twitter last night to hit out at an article in the 'Sunday Times', which he said was "false and misleading".
"I have never had a relationship with any premier football club or player," he said.
"I have never prescribed Androgen therapy for the purpose of performance-enhancement. I treat symptomatic men with low test levels."
According to General Medical Council (GMC) records, Dr Bonar is "registered without a licence to practise". This means that he is still a registered doctor but cannot carry out medical work.
The GMC has also attached a number of conditions to the 38-year-old, including that he must inform them if he takes up employment outside the UK.
From next Monday, he faces four days of a medical practitioners tribunal that will probe allegations of misconduct relating to his treatment of a cancer patient between December 2013 and January 2014.
It is claimed that he failed to inform a woman with cancer that there was no treatment that would cure her and that he continued to administer a nutrition treatment that was not "clinically indicated".
It is also alleged that he failed to work with colleagues in the interests of the woman, who is referred to as Patient A, and also failed to gain her informed consent or to manage adequate medical records.
"It is also alleged that Dr Bonar failed to seek the services of Macmillan nurses or other suitable palliative care," the listing for the hearing reads.
A previous hearing into the same case, which was held in December 2015, heard that Dr Bonar continued to charge the woman for "unconventional" care, despite being advised that she needed palliative care because a scan had shown her cancer had spread.
It was claimed that neither Dr Bonar, nor the other doctor involved in her care, Dr Trefzer, told her about the content of the scans.
The woman passed away in 2014, aged 46. It was also stated at the hearing that Dr Bonar's treatment of the woman did not contribute to her death but that it would have made her last months "difficult".
Dr Bonar was secretly filmed and recorded, apparently revealing that he had prescribed performance enhancers to athletes, including Premier League footballers.
There was no evidence that sports stars received banned treatment from the doctor and the sports clubs named have denied the allegations.
Just last month, Dr Bonar registered as a company director of a firm called Androgenix Pharmaceuticals Ltd, which is described as "innovators in testosterone-replacement therapy".