Ireland striker Anthony Stokes sent for assault trial
Published 01/08/2014 | 02:30
REPUBLIC of Ireland and Celtic striker Anthony Stokes has been sent forward for trial accused of head-butting a man in a Dublin nightclub
The striker (26) has been charged with assaulting Ballyfermot Elvis impersonator Anthony Bradley (42) during an alleged row about a spilled drink, at Buck Whaley's, on Leeson Street, on June 8 last year.
Yesterday, at Dublin District Court a book of evidence was served on him by arresting Garda Noel Gibbons.
Judge Michael Walsh told the footballer that he was now being returned for trial to the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court where he is to face his next hearing on October 10 next.
He has not yet entered a plea.
Stokes, dressed in grey suit and white shirt, was also given the standard warning that if he intended to rely on an alibi in his defence he must, "furnish the particulars to the prosecution within 14 days".
The Celtic star, who was accompanied to court by his father John Stokes, nodded and said "yes" when asked if he understood.
The judge also ordered copies of video evidence to be handed over to the defence.
Stokes who is from Dublin, is charged with assault causing harm to Mr Bradley.
This means Stokes, who lives at Bellhaven Terrace, Glasgow, must faces a trial before a judge and jury at the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court, which has tougher sentencing powers.
Details of the injuries have not been read out in court.
Irish IndependentFollow @Independent_ie