Friday 28 October 2016

Ireland international footballer Jeff Hendrick pleads not guilty to violent disorder outside nightclub

Andrew Phelan

Published 01/12/2015 | 11:35

Jeff Hendrick
Jeff Hendrick

AN Irish international football star has pleaded not guilty to a charge of violent disorder outside a Dublin nightclub.

  • Go To

Jeff Hendrick (23) had a date set for his trial at Dublin District Court today and was remanded on continuing bail in his absence.

The Derby County midfielder is charged with violent disorder in an alleged incident in Dublin city centre two years ago.

A co-accused man, Jonathan Doran (24) is charged with violent disorder and assaulting a man.

Lawyers for the accused men entered not guilty pleas on their behalf.

Judge Michael Walsh adjourned both cases for trial on a date in March.

Derby County's Jeff Hendrick
Derby County's Jeff Hendrick

Both defendants had been excused from appearing in court today. Mr Hendrick, originally from Kilmore in north Dublin, is charged with violent disorder on Harcourt Street on October 12, 2013.

Mr Doran, from Kilmore Close, Artane is charged with violent disorder and assault causing harm to a man at Montague Street on the same date.

The court heard the DPP had already directed summary disposal of the cases. This means the charges can be dealt with at district court level instead of being sent to Dublin Circuit Criminal Court, which has tougher potential sentencing powers on conviction.

Mr Hendrick’s barrister, Garret Baker, told Judge Walsh: “a hearing date will be required,” meaning that the accused is pleading not guilty.

He estimated that the case would take at least a day. Mr Doran was also pleading not guilty, his solicitor Phillip Hannon said.

Garda Sergeant Zita Woods said there would be 24 State witnesses, while Mr Baker said there "could be several" for the defence.

Judge Walsh asked if the defence and prosecution could liaise to see if they could “agree on some of the issues” and minimise the number of witnesses needed.

On the first court date in September, Garda Damien Beakey said Mr Hendrick made no reply to the charge after caution and was handed a copy of the charge sheet.

Garda Beakey said there were no injuries alleged in Mr Hendrick’s case.

Mr Hendrick was granted bail in his own bond of €200, with no cash lodgment required. There was no garda objection to bail.

Previously, the court was told Mr Hendrick was a professional footballer who played in the UK.

The charge of violent disorder, under the public order act, involves an allegation of the use of, or the threat of violence, which could cause a person to fear for their safety.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News