Ireland and Celtic footballer Anthony Stokes' trial for alleged assault of Elvis impersonator adjourned for year
THE trial of Glasgow Celtic and Irish international footballer Anthony Stokes on an assault charge has been delayed until next year after no judge was available to take the case today.
Mr Stokes (26), who is accused of assaulting a man in a nightclub, had a new trial date set for January when he appeared before Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.
The case had been listed for trial there for the first time yesterday but no judge was available.
Judge Patricia Ryan heard this was still the situation today and transferred the case to another court and judge to fix a new trial date.
Judge Martin Nolan then set a new date of January 20, 2016, with the consent of counsel for the accused.
Mr Stokes, with an address at Claremont Terrace, Glasgow, had been sent forward to the Circuit Court from Dublin District Court.
He is charged with assault causing harm to Anthony Bradley (42) at Buck Whaleys on Leeson Street, Dublin in June 8, 2013.
Yesterday, Michael Staines, solicitor for Mr Stokes, told Judge Ryan that the defence was ready to proceed with the trial, which is expected to take two days.
Judge Ryan had said she could not guarantee that it would proceed then as there are presently no judges available to take the case.