independent

Friday 18 April 2014

Inquest hears how dad died after taking cocaine

A father of two who was discovered dead in his living room had been taking cocaine in the early afternoon, an inquest heard.

Victor Spring (33) was found lying on the ground at his home at Boroimhe Alder, Swords in Co Dublin, on November 9 last year. Gardaí found a bag of white powder on the coffee table as well as a rolled up €50 note and a bank card with traces of the white powder on them.

Dublin Coroner’s Court heard that he was last seen by his wife Sonya Spring at 12.30pm when he dropped her off at school.

Mrs Spring said that he told her he was going to visit a friend in the city centre but when she tried to call him at 3pm, there was no answer. He would normally answer his phone, she said, so she was calling him “like a mad woman”.

When she finished school just before 6pm she went to see if Mr Spring had picked up their two children from their school and discovered that he hadn’t.

She didn’t have her house keys and could not get to into the house when they arrived back at Boroimhe Alder.

She called the letting agent who had to break a patio window to gain entry because the door was locked from the inside. The letting agent discovered Mr Spring’s body and the gardaí were called.

Garda Daniel Rogers said that there were no injuries to Mr Spring's body and no sign of a struggle or forced entry apart from the broken patio window.

On the coffee table in front of Mr Spring’s body, he saw a laptop, a plastic bag containing a white powdery substance, the bank card and rolled up €50 note, he said.

Mr Spring was pronounced dead at the scene and the garda doctor found that rigor mortis had set in. Coroner Dr Brian Farrell told the family this indicated that Mr Spring died in the early afternoon.

Mrs Spring had earlier told the coroner that her husband had admitted taking cocaine a few months before his death.

He may have met some “bad people”, she said, while she was away studying in France. His behaviour changed when he stopped taking the cocaine, she said, and in the three months before his death, he was normal.

The toxicology screen at post mortem confirmed that Mr Spring had been taking cocaine when he died. The pathologist gave the cause of death as cardiac failure induced by the use of cocaine.

Dr Farrell returned a verdict of death by misadventure.

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Independent.ie on Twitter

More

Most Read

Daily Deals

Independent Gallery

Your photos

Send us your weather photos promo

Celebrity News