News Courts

Tuesday 16 September 2014

'I'm an innocent woman' - Former X Factor judge Tulisa to appeal after being found guilty of assault

Published 25/07/2014 | 12:49

  • Share
Former N-Dubz singer Tulisa Contostavlos arrives at Stratford Magistrates Court in London
Former N-Dubz singer Tulisa Contostavlos arrives at Stratford Magistrates Court in London
Former N-Dubz singer Tulisa Contostavlos arrives at Stratford Magistrates Court in London where she is to find out the verdict of an assault charge against her. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Friday July 25, 2014. Contostavlos, 26, who saw a trial involving drugs allegations collapse on Monday, is now set to discover her fate regarding an alleged incident at the V-Festival in Essex in August last year. Celebrity blogger Savvas Morgan claims the former N-Dubz star hit him during an altercation. See PA story COURTS Tulisa. Photo credit should read: Anthony Devlin/PA Wire
Former N-Dubz singer Tulisa Contostavlos arrives at Stratford Magistrates Court in London
Former N-Dubz singer Tulisa Contostavlos arrives at Stratford Magistrates Court in London where she is to find out the verdict of an assault charge against her. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Friday July 25, 2014. Contostavlos, 26, who saw a trial involving drugs allegations collapse on Monday, is now set to discover her fate regarding an alleged incident at the V-Festival in Essex in August last year. Celebrity blogger Savvas Morgan claims the former N-Dubz star hit him during an altercation. See PA story COURTS Tulisa. Photo credit should read: Anthony Devlin/PA Wire
Former N-Dubz singer Tulisa Contostavlos arrives at Stratford Magistrates Court in London

Former X-Factor judge Tulisa Contostavlos has said she is "outraged" at her conviction for assaulting a celebrity blogger at a music festival.

  • Share
  • Go To

The N-Dubz star was found guilty of hitting Savvas Morgan during an altercation at V-Festival in Chelmsford.

The ruling was made by a judge at Stratford Magistrates' Court in east London today.

Her assistant, Gareth Varey, was cleared of using threatening behaviour during the incident in August last year.

After being convicted of the assault, Contostavlos was ordered to pay a total of £3,020. This consisted of a £2,700 contribution towards the cost of the prosecution, a £200 fine, £100 compensation to Mr Morgan and a £20 victim surcharge.

Earlier this week, a trial against Contostavlos on drugs charges at Southwark Crown Court collapsed after the judge said there were "strong grounds" to believe that undercover reporter Mazher Mahmood - known as the Fake Sheikh - had lied in the witness box.

In a defiant statement after today's guilty verdict, she said: "This has been a rollercoaster week for me. I never wanted any of this.

"I did not assault Vas J Morgan and I am outraged at this decision. I will be appealing it.

"There are a number of high-profile witnesses who were there and know what happened. I urge them to come forward and tell the truth at the appeal.

"I am determined to clear my name as I have already done once this week.

"I repeat - I did not assault Vas J Morgan. I am innocent."

Mr Morgan - who has joined the cast of ITV2 series The Only Way Is Essex - said after the conclusion of the case: "I'm pleased we can finally put an end to this and move on.

"It's been a difficult time for everyone involved and I'd just like to put it behind me. I've had my character questioned and now feel vindicated by the verdict."

Press Association

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News