Saturday 23 September 2017

'I feel like I have ruined my father's life,' brazen killer Molly told TV station

Molly Martens
Molly Martens

Ralph Riegel in Lexington

Molly Martens Corbett (33) said she feared she had "ruined" her father's life over the killing of her husband.

Martens Corbett and her father, Thomas Michael Martens, gave a self-serving interview with US network ABC for the popular '20/20' show shortly before the North Carolina murder trial started on July 17.

Details of the interview have now been broadcast, after the Tennessee father and daughter were handed minimum 20-year sentences for the second-degree murder of Irishman Jason Corbett.

Martens Corbett, a former model and swim coach, said she had been very upset over the fact her father was involved in the court proceedings over her husband's death.

"It makes me feel like, you know, I've ruined his life. That I've impacted my whole family," said the shameless killer. "And it's not a good feeling."

The jury convicted the pair of second-degree murder, after hearing horrific evidence of the beating that Mr Corbett suffered.

Thomas Martens
Thomas Martens

But Martens Corbett said she felt "horrible" that the father of four ended up being prosecuted.

And the brazen killer insisted she did not murder her husband - and that her father did not murder Mr Corbett either.

She maintained that they both acted only in self-defence on August 2, 2015, at she and her husband's luxury home at Panther Creek Court.

"I was sure he [Mr Corbett] was going to kill my father," she claimed.

Former FBI agent Martens also maintained his innocence of the murder charge. "I did not murder my son-in-law," he said. "And I would challenge any reasonable man, much less a reasonable father, to say that this was unnecessary force.

Read More: Molly sent bill for removal of Jason's body to his parents

"I used the force that was necessary to end the threat. That's what I was trained to do for over 31 years, end the deadly threat."

In the interview, the father and daughter offered their version of the moments leading up to the disputed incident in the master bedroom in which Mr Corbett suffered horrendous head injuries.

Martens Corbett said the Limerick man became upset when he was awoken around 3am on August 2.

"He woke up, and he was angry. And he wanted to know why I had gotten up."

Martens echoed his testimony to the court that, while asleep in a basement bedroom, he was awoken by the sound of a scream and thumping noises from the upstairs master bedroom.

"I don't know what precisely woke me up, but what I heard were loud voices and a kind of, like, thumping, like heavy feet, you know, moving around.

"And it was coming from the floor above me. It was in the dead of the morning, and it wasn't right.

"Something bad was going on."

In her statement to the police on August 2, Martens Corbett claimed her husband grasped her by the throat and, after she screamed, put his hand over her mouth to keep her quiet.

Read More: Ex-FBI agent deemed at risk from prisoners

Martens, armed with a baseball bat, came into the bedroom and confronted his son-in-law.

"I reached around to his left, and my right - I'm right-handed - with the baseball bat. And I hit him in the back of the head with the baseball bat. I hit him hard on the back of the head again."

However, the jurors ultimately believed that Mr Corbett was murdered both by his wife and father-in-law, who used a brick and baseball bat to administer a flurry of brutal blows.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News