Hutch teen misses court date as he recovers from 'serious assault'
Published 26/09/2016 | 11:31
A TEENAGER facing public order charges in two city centre incidents has had his cases adjourned after a court heard he had been victim of a "very serious assault".
Darrell Hutch (19) had the cases put back in his absence when he failed to appear in Dublin District Court.
His solicitor said he was recovering in hospital.
Mr Hutch, with an address in the north inner city, is charged with two counts each of threatening, abusive and insulting behaviour to cause a breach of the peace in a public place, and failing to obey garda directions.
The two incidents are alleged to have happened on O'Connell Street on April 24 and James Joyce Street on May 20.
Mr Hutch had pleaded not guilty on a previous date and the cases were back before the court for hearing.
However, Mr Hutch was not present when his case was called and defence Solicitor Yvonne Bambury told Judge Alan Mitchell the accused was in the Mater Hospital, having been the subject of a very serious assault recently.
"Could you put it back for mention at the moment because I don't know how long it will take him to get back on his feet," Ms Bambury said.
No details of the assault were disclosed to the court.
The judge adjourned the proceedings to a date next month, for mention.
He said a new hearing date could be set at that stage.
The charges against Mr Hutch are under Sections 6 and 8 of the Public Order Act.
The charges are summary only - meaning they are dealt with by a judge only at district court level.
Anyone found guilty and convicted of breach of the peace can be fined or given a maximum prison sentence of three months, or both.
Failing to comply with the directions of a garda under the Public Order Act carries a fine and/or a maximum potential sentence on conviction of six months imprisonment.