Husband hails 'justice' for mum who died after op
Published 20/11/2010 | 05:00
A HUSBAND said last night he had "got justice" for his wife after an inquest into her death following an elective hysterectomy returned a verdict of medical misadventure.
Linda Royal (50), a mother of three, died in St James's Hospital in Dublin on September 29, 2008.
She had undergone a hysterectomy at the Mount Carmel private hospital one week earlier, but was "very seriously ill" with multi-organ dysfunction and septicaemia when she was transferred to James's one day before her death.
Speaking after the inquest last night, her husband Louis said the family had got justice for his wife. He described her as a "beautiful woman", and he said he was very happy with the verdict, adding however that he did not feel all of their questions had been answered.
The couple had three children, Keith (27), Deborah (24), and Shane (14). The family now plans to take a civil action.
Their solicitor, Damien Tansey, said it would be through the civil action that the balance of the questions would be answered.
"It's clear following the hearing that took place. . . that Mrs Royal was a sick woman for several days before she was transferred, beyond recovery, to St James's Hospital from Mount Carmel," Mr Tansey said.
Dublin City Coroner's Court heard yesterday that Mrs Royal had a vaginal hysterectomy at the private Dublin hospital on September 22, 2008. She was stable after the procedure but was diagnosed with a urinary tract infection on day three following the operation.
The following day she complained of nausea and tenderness. The surgeon who did the initial procedure, Dr Mona Joyce, felt there was a delay in Mrs Royal's recovery that was due to constipation, and laxatives were prescribed.
When she was transferred to James's -- six days after the initial procedure -- doctors found an extensive lack of blood supply to all the organs in Mrs Royal's abdomen, including the stomach, the liver and the small and large bowel.
Coroner Dr Brian Farrell said she was "very seriously ill" and "the situation was irretrievable" by the time she was seen by a surgeon at James's.
The inquest heard Mrs Royal, of Forest Green, Kingswood Heights, Tallaght, Dublin 24, had developed septicaemia, or blood poisoning, caused by a rare bacteria following the procedure. This led to multi-organ failure and septic shock.