THE family of a man who ended up with a brain injury after being resuscitated in a hospital has settled its High Court damages action for €1.5m.
Plasterer John Boyle (69), the court heard, suffered a hypoxic brain injury after he suffered cardiac arrest and attempts were made to resuscitate him at Portiuncula Hospital, Ballinaslsoe, Co Galway.
Ms Justice Mary Irvine was told the settlement against the HSE was without admission of liability.
Mr Boyle, of Masonbrook, Loughrea, Co Galway, had sued for damages, through his daughter Karen Boyle, for alleged negligence and breach of duty in relation to his resuscitation on February 7 and 8, 2006.
It was claimed that at the resuscitation carried out on February 7, 2006 there was an alleged failure to note or heed when Mr Boyle was not receiving defibrillating shocks. There was an alleged failure to pay any or any reasonable or proper attention to the printed rhythm strips from the defibrillator being used which indicated when no shocks were being delivered.
It was further claimed that in the resuscitation on February 8, 2006, there was a delay in noting or heeding that Mr Boyle was not receiving defibrillating shocks.
The HSE denied the claims and the court was told the defibrillator did not malfunction on the occasions of resuscitation.
Ms Justice Mary Irvine was told that Mr Boyle is now dependant on his family and his wife is his main carer.
Approving the settlement, the judge said she was satisfied it reflected the full value of the case.