Homeless killer whose victim was crushed by bus could avoid prison
Published 05/06/2014 | 02:30
A HOMELESS man who killed an acquaintance by knocking him under a bus may avoid a jail term.
Last month a Dublin Circuit Criminal Court jury found Edward Connors (30) guilty following an eight-day manslaughter trial. Yesterday morning he also admitted injuring, threatening or intimidating two people with a syringe in separate incidents in Dublin city centre a year-and-a-half ago.
Eoghan Dudley (28) died almost instantly from "catastrophic and traumatic injuries" after going under the left rear wheel of a Dublin Bus on Dawson Street during rush hour traffic. Both men were heroin users at the time and both had the drug in their system at the time of the death.
The victim's injuries were so severe that he could not be identified. Gardai had to issue a public appeal and use a DNA test to determine his identity.
Connors had pleaded not guilty to unlawfully killing Mr Dudley on December 6, 2012.
Yesterday the court heard evidence from the victim's mother who said she would "give anything to see my son one last time".
Judge Patrick McCartan remanded Connors in custody for sentence on October 7.
He said he doesn't propose to send Connors to prison if it can be avoided because of the lack of facilities there for deaf people. He said he hoped that the Dudley family could appreciate his dilemma.
He said the incident was as close to an accident as can be by law.
Referring to Connors' background he said: "It's hard to conceive someone who has come from tougher circumstances." He described the prison conditions as "unacceptable" and said he was duty- bound to inquire into alternatives to prison given the "unique circumstances" of the case.
Irish IndependentFollow @Independent_ie