Homeless Jonathan died from overdose
Homeless man Jonathan Corrie - who was found dead just metres from the Dáil - died of a "multidrug overdose".
An inquest into his death yesterday heard how the father-of-two had been sleeping rough on the streets before a drug and alcohol mixture overdose.
He was found dead lying on steps near the Dáil on December 1, 2014. His death led to a public outcry against homelessness.
Sophie Pigot, a worker in a nearby bank, told the Dublin Coroner's Court that she was walking to work when she noticed a man lying on the steps of a doorway on Molesworth Street in an "uncomfortable position" at around 8am.
She immediately ran across to the Dáil reception and told the garda on duty there was a man in trouble and that she wasn't "sure if he is alive".
Garda Jennifer Keyes, from Pearse Street Station, told the court she arrived on the scene alongside Garda Eoin Cooper after reports of a sudden death.
Gda Keyes said she discovered the body face down and that it became apparent the man was dead. She said that letters were found with details of the deceased alongside a sleeping bag, a rucksack, some clothing, €50 and two syringes.
The officer then contacted Mr Corrie's former partner who indicated that his adoptive mother, Jean Corrie, lived in Kilkenny. Ms Corrie identified the deceased, from pictures, as her son.
Dr Christian Gulmann, a pathologist in the Dublin city morgue, said that there was no evidence of hypothermia and believed Mr Corrie's death was caused by a "multidrug overdose". Coroner Dr Myra Cullinane recorded a verdict of misadventure.