Thursday 27 July 2017

Hoax bomber jailed after breaching conditions of suspended sentence

Fiona Ferguson

A CHRONIC alcoholic who called in hoax bomb scares and was given a suspended sentence as a "final chance" last month has been jailed for breaching the conditions of the suspension.

Sean Fahy (43) of Drumcondra Road Lower had pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to making a false report to gardai and Dublin Fire Brigade on June 27, 2010.

At his sentence hearing on October 8 last, Judge Martin Nolan agreed to give Fahy “a final chance” after hearing from Fahy’s defence counsel Anita Kilgallon BL that he was determined to address his problems.

Judge Nolan imposed a three year suspended sentence on condition he attend at the Victory Outreach residential treatment programme.

Today Judge Nolan heard that Fahy had initially attended Victory Outreach but left shortly afterwards. He imposed the full three year custodial sentence.

Evidence was initially heard in the case in May 2012 and sentencing was deferred until July to give Fahy a chance to prove he could stay out of trouble.

He failed to turn up for his sentence date and was found several days later drunk in the grounds of Dublin Airport. Fahy was then remanded in custody until October for sentence.

The court heard that Fahy made a false report to the Garda Control Centre at Harcourt Square that there was a domestic dispute happening at the house where his former girlfriend lived.

He also rang Dublin Fire Brigade to report a bomb outside the same house.

Garda Damien O’Reilly told Garret Baker BL, prosecuting, that Fahy made the hoax calls within hours of each other while he was drunk.

Gardai arrived at the address Fahy gave them and the house owner knew nothing about the alleged domestic dispute or the bomb.

While gardai were speaking to the house owner, Fahy rang the woman asking her had she any visitors. Fahy then made two further phone calls to Dublin Fire Brigade stating a bomb was outside the same address he had given to gardai initially.

“He attempted to give the operator a different phone number but his mobile number was identified through caller ID,” explained Gda O’Reilly.

“Listening to the calls, he appeared to be getting drunker and drunker,” he said.

Fahy told gardai he “couldn’t remember” making the calls and could not explain the motivation behind it.

Ms Kilgallon told Judge Nolan that Fahy, who has amassed all his 62 previous convictions since 2007, had lived in America for a time and worked as a carpenter.

“All of his convictions relate to his chronic alcoholism,” added Ms Kilgallon.

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News