'Hardy Bucks' actor cleared of alleged assault on two doormen
Published 24/06/2014 | 02:30
'HARDY Bucks' actor Martin Maloney has been cleared of attacking two doormen during a row when he was making an appearance at a popular Dublin pub.
The 30-year-old, from Bollingbrook Drive, Swinford, Co Mayo, but now living in Sweden with his wife and child, walked free after Dublin District Court judge Ann Watkin said she did not believe the two bouncers' evidence which was contradicted by CCTV footage.
The actor pleaded not guilty to assault causing harm to Brian Smith and Mark O'Shaughnessy at The Big Tree pub in Drumcondra on October 9, 2012.
Mr Maloney had been making a public appearance and was DJing at the Big Tree when he became involved in an altercation with security staff member Mr Smith over the queuing system at the toilets and the route back to the stage area.
The prosecution had alleged he grabbed Mr Smith in a headlock from behind and held him on the ground before punching him repeatedly. It was also alleged the actor was being forcibly removed when he struck Mr O'Shaughnessy with a kick.
However, the judge yesterday found the actor not guilty after she viewed CCTV evidence which contradicted their evidence as well as that of other prosecution witnesses.
Mr Smith had alleged he had been at a balcony when he was grabbed from behind by the actor, put in a headlock and punched 20 to 30 times to his head.
However, in CCTV evidence he was shown in a face-to-face confrontation with the actor, before there was a tussle and one punch could be seen thrown at the security man, the judge said.
Mr O'Shaughnessy had claimed that the defendant was acting aggressively and had to be forcibly removed via a fire exit.
However, Judge Watkin noted from the CCTV evidence that Mr Maloney was not being restrained and was calm and silent at that point.
Irish IndependentFollow @Independent_ie