Tuesday 17 October 2017

'Good friend' admits guilt in gun death of hunter

Diarmuid Byrne was shot dead.
Diarmuid Byrne was shot dead.
Ralph Riegel

Ralph Riegel

A man has pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of an outdoor sports enthusiast who died from a catastrophic gunshot wound to his head and neck.

Trevor O'Gorman (44) appeared before Cork Circuit Criminal Court on a single charge of the unlawful killing of Diarmuid Byrne (41) on April 26 last at Plunkett Road, Ballyphehane in Cork.

Mr O'Gorman, of Sarahville Place, Pouladuff Road, Cork, pleaded guilty to the single charge on the indictment.

The defendant, who was first charged with the unlawful killing last November, was a good friend of the deceased.

Judge Sean O'Donnabháin was told that both the State and defence were seeking a short adjournment in the matter.

Dermot Sheehan BL, for the State, said time was required for the preparation of victim impact statements.

Trevor O’Gorman pleaded guilty to manslaughter. Photo: Daragh Mc Sweeney/Cork Courts Limited
Trevor O’Gorman pleaded guilty to manslaughter. Photo: Daragh Mc Sweeney/Cork Courts Limited

Jim O'Mahony SC, for Mr O'Gorman, applied for the preparation of a special medical report by Mr O'Goman's personal doctor. Judge O'Donnabhain granted the applications and remanded Mr O'Gorman on continuing bail to appear for sentencing on February 17 next.

Last October, an inquest into the death of Mr Byrne was adjourned on the application of the gardaí after medical evidence was heard as to the cause of Mr Byrne's death.

The 41-year-old was pronounced dead in an upper room of his home at Plunkett Road in Ballyphehane, Cork, on April 26.

Gardaí had been alerted after a single round had been discharged from a pump-action shotgun. The weapon was legally held by Mr Byrne.

The keen hunter and outdoor sports enthusiast died at the scene. Another individual had raised the alarm with the emergency services. The shotgun was apparently discharged from extremely close range.

A full post-mortem examination conducted by Assistant State Pathologist Dr Margaret Bolster at CUH, found he had died from severe trauma to the frontal part of his brain. The deceased, nicknamed 'Byrnsie' and originally from Waterford, is understood to have served with the Defence Forces and was very experienced in the handling of firearms.

Irish Independent

Independent.ie Comments Facility

INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.

We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News